Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dinner Was Served


It's Saturday again. It sorta feels like Monday or Friday, except that it was Friday yesterday. I don't know about December 25 and January 1 falling on a Thursday. It's just weird the rest of the way.

So, in keeping with my previous full disclosure, Saturday is scheduled to mean football or food topics at When Pigs Fly. No politics, no world conflict stuff.

But, my college football season ended on Thursday. I probably need to replace college football with college basketball in my Saturday line-up for a few months. Just one problem with that. Except for a couple of teams, I don't really care anything about college basketball until NCAA tournament time. That's weeks away. And, although I've seen some remarkable basketball from the defending national champion Kansas Jayhawks already, there is no question that the team is very young and quite rebuilding-like. So, I might not have much to say about it.

I couldn't care less about trying to diagnose and review the No Fun League (NFL), even though many of my favorite college football players reside there now. The only NFL story I watched this week was the very long presser with the local CBS affiliate on Wednesday. Where the Broncos owner said about 40 times that he had to make 'the tough decision.' That would be, of course, to fire the very noble, very professional, very stoic, but very didn't-git-er-dun Mike Shanahan. He's a great guy with a beautiful family, and he loves Denver a lot. But, now he's unemployed in Denver. I feel his pain.

Since it's so widely known that there is no "D" in Denver professional basketball, Chauncey Billips notwithstanding, it will come as no surprise that I have nothing to add there. Defense wins championships. We don't have any of that in the Mile High Pepsi Center City.

So, that leaves food.

Frankly, I'm all fooded-out, too.

If you're honest, you are too.

I've lost count of the many roasts of various animal that have passed into our ovens and out of our kitchen in the past month or so. Cow, turkey, pig, chicken.

Not to mention cookies, cakes, cupcakes, brownies, cheesecake, pie, homemade fudge, kisses, turtles, M&M's, snacks, dips, chips, crackers, pretzels, popcorn, pickles, peanuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, shrimp, cheese spreads, red, green and purple grapes; pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, apples, cole slaw, lettuce salad, croissants, bisquits, cinnamon rolls, homemade yeast rolls, cornbread, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, turkey dressing, homemade turkey gravy, homemade au jus, cream gravy, peas, broccoli, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, shallots, parsley, sage, horseradish cream, rare roast beef French dip sandwiches....

I call time out. See you Monday.

No comments: