Monday, January 12, 2009

It's a Precious Mystery




Danniebelle Hall and the Winans Family
http://www.danniebelle.com/

Somewhere between college and marriage, I played the piano for a lot of young singers in the southern California area. Some of them I actually knew; some of them were referrals. One of the reasons I got so many opportunities was because I could play songs they wanted to sing even if they didn't have the music for it. Word got around. After marriage, word got around in a different part of the country. It got to the point where I played more occasions without music than with it.

Back in Pasadena one time, I was scheduled to accompany "Larry" from Lake Avenue Congregational Church at a small gathering on a Sunday night. We had about a week to put his set together. He was extremely gifted. He was also one of the most eccentric musicians I ever worked with. "Eccentric" is often French for "weird." But, some people thought I was weird, too. So, it worked out just fine.

Sometimes he had music, sometimes he just had charts. One time, he had neither. He handed me a new tape he had just purchased down the street at the Christian bookstore on Lake Avenue and said he wanted to do the first cut next week. I said, "You picked up the sheet music, too. Right?"

Of course not. It didn't exist. He said, "just play this."

It was hard to play piano, horns, bass and drums on just the piano. But, I gave it my best, and he was very happy. It was one of those songs that just got under my skin. Later, I found myself playing the piano part I wrote by ear over and over, even though Larry wasn't there to sing it for me. And, of course I bought the tape, too.

Now, through the magic of Youtube, this old song by an important black female gospel singer can be yours, too. She went to Heaven in 2000. So she can tell you, can tell you, how this Love can be.

"What Kind of Love is This"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0anCKEpTKs

WHAT KIND OF LOVE IS THIS (1 John 3:1,2)
Danniebelle Hall

What kind of love is this He has bestowed on me?
I am a child of God and I speak of a mystery.
I don't know how it is or how it shall be, (oh no)
But this one thing I know (yeah) that when His face I see,
I shall be like Him, for I shall know Him.
In all of His beauty and glory, I will behold Him,
And I'll trade this robe of flesh for immortality.
Then I can tell you, I'll tell you how this love can be.

What kind of love is this? Why should He love me so?
Why would He send His only Son into this world of woe?
What made my Savior die?
He died up there on that cruel cross.
Why would He bear my shame, Lord?
Why would He suffer my loss?

(Yeah) It's a precious, precious mystery He will return for me;
And together, we're going to share our love throughout eternity, yeah!
And I'm gonna trade this robe of flesh, trade it in for immortality.
Then I can tell you, I'll tell you how this love can be.
(Yeah)

(Yeah) It's a precious, precious mystery He will return for me,
And together, we're going to share our love throughout all eternity,
And I'm gonna trade this robe of flesh, I'll trade it in for immortality.(Oh-ho)
Then I can tell you, I'll tell you how this love can be.

(Mmmm) Then I can tell you, I'll tell you how this love can be.

(Oh-ho, yeah) Then I can tell you, I'll tell you how this love can be.

Then I can tell you, I'll tell you…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cynthia - Thank you for posting your wonderful blog about my mother Danniebelle and honoring her good and faithful service. I miss her so much. Be blessed in all that you do!
Danniebelle's daughter also named
Cynthia

Cynthia Hall Philpot :-)