Friday, February 6, 2009

Coughing Fit

"Would you like me to give you a formula for....success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You're thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all...you can be discouraged by failure, or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success. On the far side."

Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM, 1874-1956.

I wonder what Bill D. Cat would say about the world today. When he was around, he spoke English and had a very advanced vocabulary. But, he frequently choked on hairballs. And, to that he generally responded "Tbbbbbt." Or, "AAACK!"

Based on everything I'm hearing today, either one of those outbursts would fit the occasion.

His creator, Berkeley Breathed, has said that his goal was to create a character so repulsive, that it would have absolutely no merchandising potential. But, as if to illustrate how powerful capitalism really is as an economic concept, all sorts of Bill the Cat trinkets and trash have sold around the world.

A few weeks ago, I took a trip to the far side of fear, uncertainty, and doubt. I tried to write about it. That didn't help. Of course, it didn't change anything either. Everything is much worse now than it was then. And, it's much worse now than I could have ever imagined that it would be now. But, I'm not going to start writing about it again.

I do know one thing. Fear, uncertainly and doubt never jump-started anything.

I heard recently that one of the wacko members of the American Dynasty stated before Congress that pig farms are more dangerous than Osama bin Laden.

OK. Good to know. But, When Pigs Fly isn't going anywhere.

No comments: