Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Half-Baked



"Do your work with your whole heart, and you will succeed -- there's so little competition."

Elbert Hubbard






We're only 10 days away from Valentine's Day, and bakeries around the world are gearing up for it. For a long time, but especially in the vast world of cake molds, bakers have been able to squeeze their favorite recipes into a heart-shaped dessert. Looking to capture the full measure of each seasonal merchandising opportunity, retailers unveiled their displays of the heart-shaped offerings at about the precise moment the Christmas tree-shaped offerings were whisked off the floor.

I've contributed my fair share to the industry. My heart shapes include a 12" cake pan, 4" tart pans, and cookie cutters in 12 sizes. In the most ambitious years, when we lived on a cul-de-sac with 17 children in seven homes, I sent forth gifts with heart-shaped tags. First names rendered in careful calligraphy. The obligatory hot pink or red cellophane wrap.

It was fun. It was original. And, it took a lot of time.

In the working world, such time for fun and originality is often in short supply. And, I've reached a stage where I either lack sufficient target recipients or the desire to swap my time in the office for time in the kitchen. The only bakery item my husband cares about is the strawberry cake he hopes he'll get for his birthday. That won't happen until April, so he's not even dialed into what he might be missing.

This year, I'm thinking I should just indulge in the window-shopping opportunities that present themselves online. I won't look twice at the over-burdened bakery tables by the entrance to the grocery stores anyway, since none of it eats as good as anything I could make. I probably shouldn't fire up the ovens for heart-shaped anything.

But, I know that I can do it if I change my mind.

The heart-shaped shortbread cookies,
sandwiched with raspberry jam and half-dipped in melted semi-sweet chocolate.

The red velvet cupcakes with buttercream frosting tinted whatever color dresses well for Valentine's Day. Maybe some candy sprinkles from my red, white, and pink mix. Or, the mix with the little red hearts.

The rolled-out butter cookies, cut into a family of heart-shaped sizes, coated in candy-apple red, powder pink, fuchsia, and white icing.

The double-secret brownie recipe, either baked in the heart-shaped tart pans or cut out from a sheet pan into heart shapes with the cookie cutters.

Oh yes, I can do it.

Maybe I should just go to the cabinet to be sure I have enough powdered sugar on hand.

Just in case I change my mind.

No comments: